November News & Events
Hi there! This is my favorite time of year, and an exciting month. I'm teaching four new weekly classes at a high school (wish me luck), hearing leaves crunch under my footsteps on hikes, roasting every vegetable in sight, drinking hot tea, and organizing my closet. Ok, that last one is not that exciting, but I'll feel good about it when it's over. I'm also involved in some pretty special workshops and gatherings this month - something new to me is happening each weekend. I hope you'll join me!
- Sunday the 2nd - I'll be leading a long guided meditation at 5:30 following my regular 4 p.m. class at Extend Yoga in North Bethesda, Md. We'll spend most of the practice lying on our backs, so if the idea of sitting still for a long time doesn't sit well with you, that's not a problem! You can even stay on your back for the 50-minute duration of practice.
- Friday the 7th - Are you a soon-to-be mama (or know one who could use some deep breaths)? I'm teaching a new 6-week prenatal yoga series that will meet on Fridays at 5:30 p.m. at Simon Says Yoga in Bethesda, Md. Bond with baby, meet other moms, and most importantly, take some time just for yourself.
- Sunday the 9th - Partytime! Extend Yoga turns 3 and will host a free party (snacks, sips, sounds of non-yoga music) from 3-5 p.m. Please note that afternoon classes that day are cancelled.
- Saturday the 15th - Open your heart, pt. 1 - I'm teaching my first Curvy Yoga lab at Lil Omm in Tenleytown at 2:30 p.m. We'll focus on backbends and heart openers, and work through supportive variations using props, the wall, and each other.
- Saturday the 15th - Open your heart, pt. 2 - I'm singing, not just in my shower, with Andrea Creel Yoga & Kirtan at Lil Omm in Tenleytown as part of the 3rd Annual DC Kirtan Fest. What's kirtan, you say? It's a form of call and response chanting that is joyful and exuberant - if you don't know all the words, you just sing louder. Andrea and I will go on around 10 and the singing starts at 6:30. All proceeds will benefit girls rescued from sex trafficking in Kolkata, India, Children of Tibet Trust and the Omkareshwar Ashram School. To learn more about these organizations or donate, click here. To reserve a ticket for the kirtan, visit http://dckirtanfest2014.brownpapertickets.com/
- Saturday the 29th - Over the long Thanksgiving weekend, bring a friend who is new to yoga (or come by yourself to go over the basics) to a beginners workshop at 1:30 p.m. at Yoga NoMa. We'll break down poses, demystify the sanskrit terms that sometimes pop up in classes, and learn how to be conscious of how our bodies move in space (without getting overly self-conscious). Register at https://routeam.com/centers/28-yoga-noma?sort=yoga+abcs+&stype=class